En Espa—ol

Thursday - October 15, 2009

Title: Where to find seed drill
Answered by: Steve Windhager

Hello I am a recent member. I want to conserve a 4 acre parcel with native grasses. Do you know where I can rent a small seed drill? I have heard that some conservation groups own these for rent. I was curious to whether you rent them or know someone who does. Thank you.

Unfortunately we do not have a list of available locations to rent a seed drill across the state.  Equipment rental businesses, particularly in agricultural areas do often have these for rent, and you also might inquire with your County Agricultural Extension Agent who would be the person to have the most resources associated with this.

Even if you are unable to locate a seed drill, don't lose heart!  While a seed drill is likely the best way to get your seed in the ground, there are other more accessible methods that will also work well.  You can conduct a very shallow disking of the area, and then broadcast seed and then use a drag harrow over the area. Alternatively, you can wrap a chain link fence around a railroad tie (or other similarly heavy linear object) and then drag it over the site, then broadcast seed, then drag it again.  This last option works best after a recent rain.