Mr. Smarty Plants - Supplier for native lawn grass for South Texas

Tuesday - October 20, 2009

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Turf
Title: Supplier for native lawn grass for South Texas

QUESTION:

Where would I buy native lawn grass for South Texas? Would it be sod or seed?

ANSWER:

One of our supplier associates, Native American Seed in Junction, Texas, has a Native Sun Turfgrass seed mix containing Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss) and Bouteloua gracilis (blue grama).  Both grasses should do well in South Texas as long as they have plenty of sun.  These are the only native turf grasses available, but Native American Seed does have many other native grasses and grass mixes that would be hardy and attractive in a meadow setting.  If you were hoping to have a turf style lawn, however, your native grass species would be buffalograss and blue grama. Although Native American Seed has various grasses as root stock, their supply for buffalograss and blue grama comes only as seeds.  You can search in our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants in your area that might have sod of these two species available.

Since you are contemplating a native grass lawn, I suggest that you read two of our "How to Articles":  Native Lawns and Native Lawns: Buffalograss.   Native American Seed also has a very helpful article, Planting Tips for Native Grasses

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua gracilis

Bouteloua gracilis