Friday - October 16, 2009

Title: Plants for October wedding in Texas Hill Country
Answered by: Amy Johnson

QUESTION:

I am planning an October wedding at a Texas Hill Country vineyard. I would like to incorporate some local, seasonal plants in the floral design. Can you recommend some hill country plants, flowers, berries and grasses that are seasonal in October? Thanks!

ANSWER:

I can recommend Hill Country plants for you; however, your best bet may be to ask around for a florist who specializes in native arrangements.  There was one such florist featured in the cover photo and an article in the 2008 Winter issue of Wildflower.  You can pick up a free copy at the Wildflower Center or become a member and get one sent to you.  Depending on which florist you use, native Hill Country plants may not readily be available in the quantities you need and the floral design quality you are looking for, but they should be able to work with you to at least come up with some plants that fit the style you are looking for.

However, if you intend to find these plants either at nurseries in pots or somehow collect them from the wild, then we can offer you some recommendations:  Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry), Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Wright's desert Honeysuckle), Conoclinium coelestinum (Blue mistflower), Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida (Prairie Verbena), Lantana urticoides (West Indian lantana), Liatris mucronata (Cusp blazing star), Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinalflower), Machaeranthera tanacetifolia (Tanseyleaf tansyaster), Melampodium leucanthum (Plains blackfoot), Palafoxia callosa (Small palafox), Muhlenbergia capillaris (Gulf muhly), Senna lindheimeriana (velvet leaf senna), Solidago nemoralis (Prairie goldenrod), Salvia greggii (Autumn sage).

You can browse more October flowering plants at this link: Central Texas Plants.