Sunday - September 27, 2009

Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: Diseased Mexican plum tree in Austin

QUESTION:

I have a grove of 5 year old Mexican plum trees one of which is oozing sap from its trunk and a branch appears to have died. Is there anything that I can do to help the tree besides removing the dead branch?

ANSWER:

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum) is native to the Austin area and is usually characterized as being resistant to pests and diseases. Since plant disease is not our specialty, and we wouldn't want to risk making a recommendation that might do more harm than good, we are going to suggest you contact the Texas AgriLIFE Extension Service for Travis County. If this is something that is "going around" like the flu, the staff at that office should have some information and help for you.