Friday - September 25, 2009

From: Bertram, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees, Wildflowers
Title: Landscaping in Bertram TX

QUESTION:

I have a landscaping job in Bertram, Texas and am looking for all my options as far as full and partial shade somewhat hardy plants. I'm mainly looking for small plants and pretty flowers I can do with or without. I'd like to know the bigger options too as far as bushes and shrubs. Thanks!

ANSWER:

We're afraid we don't have time to teach you landscaping, but we have a number of resources in our Native Plant Database where we think you will find the information you need. You need to understand that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. Bertram is in Central Texas, of course, so when making your choices, look for plants native to the Burnet County area.

First, we're going to give you some inside reading, not outside reading, because this information is all in our Native Plant Database. 

How-To Article: A Guide to Native Plant Gardening

How-To Article: Native Lawns

Just for Central Texans

Hill Country Horticulture - Native plants for the Central Texas Hill Country.

Sun Garden Plants for Central Texas - Native plants that work well in a full sun garden.

Pond Plants for Central Texas - Native plants that work well in water gardens.

Dry Shade Plants for Central Texas - Native plants that work well in dry shade.

Woodland Plants for Central Texas - Native plants that work well in woodlands.

Wetland Plants for Central Texas - Native plants for that work well in riparian areas.

Hummingbird Plants for Central Texas - Native plants that attract hummingbirds.

Container Garden Plants for Central Texas - Native plants for container gardens.

Finally, you can go to Recommended Species, click on Central Texas on the map, and follow instructions for making selections for sun, shade, soil moisture, shrub, tree, herbaceous blooming plant, etc.