Saturday - September 19, 2009

From: Weirton, WV
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Plant around Pittsburg from Weirton WV

QUESTION:

I have seen this plant outside of the Pittsburgh,PA area and was told it is called Midnight Cowboy. It has bright yellow flowers and long green leaves that only comes out at night(so I am told). Can you tell me something of this plant?

ANSWER:

At the Lady Bird Johnsosn Wildflower Center, we are dedicated to the use, care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. The genus Begonia is a tropical plant, originating in Brazil and southern South America, and is therefore out of our range of experience. When this plant escapes cultivation, it is considered invasive in some parts of the United States. Although begonias could probably be grown in a sheltered area in either Pennsylvania or next-door West Virginia, they would function only as tender annuals, and would need to be brought indoors in order to survive in the winter. We found this one piece of information on that particular begonia from Backyardgardener.com Midnight Cowboy Begonia but did not determine what color it is. You might try searching the American Begonia Society for more information.