Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant growing in mid-September at Wildflower Center

Friday - September 18, 2009

Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Plant growing in mid-September at Wildflower Center

QUESTION:

Would you please identify the pink/mauve composite flower growing in the members garden. A large grouping is growing in the bed between the center bed and the pathway up to the demonstration gardens.

ANSWER:

The plant that was there when we received your question is Palafoxia hookeriana (sand palafox). If you wanted to go back and see it again, it might have been replaced. The gardens at the Lady Bird Wildflower Center are all plants native to this area. The sand palafox is an annual, and will be replaced by other plants for seasonal interest when it has faded and after seeds are collected for next season. Our gardens are kept refreshed and attractive year-round by an incredible group of Staff and Volunteers.  Here are the Conditions Comments on this plant:

Water Use: Low
Light Requirement: Sun , Part Shade
Soil Moisture: Dry
Soil Description: Sandy, Sandy Loam, Medium Loam, Clay Loam, Clay, Limestone-based
Conditions Comments: Sand palafox is unbranched except for the numerous flower stems. It is lightly covered with hair, and somewhat sticky. Flower heads have 8–12 rose-colored ray flowers. Blooming can be increased and prolonged by pruning and dead heading.
texas comments: Sand palafox is unbranched except for the numerous flower stems. It is lightly covered with hair, and somewhat sticky. Flower heads have 8–12 rose-colored ray flowers. Blooming can be increased and prolonged by pruning and dead heading. 

Palafoxia hookeriana

Palafoxia hookeriana

Palafoxia hookeriana

Palafoxia hookeriana