En EspaÑol

Saturday - September 19, 2009

Title: Orange-red caterpillar with black spikes on passionflower vine

QUESTION:

What kind of orange-red caterpillar with black spikes is all over my passion vine?

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants is not an entomologist, but according to the Austin Bug Collection the Agraulis vanillae (Gulf fritillary) is "by far our most common passionflower butterfly."  Another orange and black caterpillar found on passionflowers is Euptoieta claudia (variegated fritillary).  Hopefully, one of these matches the caterpilllar on your passionflower vines.