Mr. Smarty Plants - Native buffalograss for Round Rock, TX

Monday - September 14, 2009

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Native buffalograss for Round Rock, TX

QUESTION:

Hi, I am wondering what the best Buffalo grass selection would be for Round Rock, Tx? I have about 400 - 500 Sq Ft that boarders the street that I would like to maintain as a natural type of environment. Additionally, would you recommend planting from seed or sod? If seed, can I plant now (late summer, Sept)? And can you recommend sources? Thanks

ANSWER:

Begin by reading our How-To Article Native Lawns:Buffalograss for general information about planting and caring for this form of native lawn. 

To go on to  your last question, go to the Online Catalog for Native American Seed, then click on "Grass Mixes," next, "Native Sun Turfgrass." This mix consists of 34% Bouteloua gracilis (blue grama) and 66% Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss). This catalog will give you a great deal of information about the planting and culture of these native grasses for Central Texas. 

Since you live near the Austin area, we also suggest you come to our Fall Plant Sale.  Not only will we have thousands of plants native to Central Texas for sale, but both Native American Seed and the Native Plant Society of Texas will have tents. You can talk to the people at Native American Seed, get a catalog, which is like a textbook on native grasses and wildflowers, and purchase seeds directly.

Bouteloua gracilis

Bouteloua gracilis

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua dactyloides