Tuesday - August 30, 2005

From: Louisville, KY
Title: Care for non-native Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon)

I am moving into a new home and have been told that the two plants in my front yard are called Hearts of Sharon. I need to know how to care for them and when and how to prune them so that they dont grow so tall. Thank you.

I think, perhaps, what you have is Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) which is a non-native plant introduced from China and India. It is a hearty, cold- and heat-tolerant plant widely used throughout the United States as an ornamental. You can find care advice by doing an online search on "Hibsicus care". For example, you can read "Hibiscus Care Tips & Growing Instructions" from Strictly Hibiscus.com. You can also visit the American Hibiscus Society web page.