En EspaÑol

Monday - September 14, 2009

From: Guthrie, OK
Title: Groundcover for part shade/shade in Oklahoma.

QUESTION:

I am looking for perennial ground covers for shade to part shade under red oaks in central Oklahoma. Soil condition is usually dry. Can you recommend some natives in addition to creeper for xeriscape? thank you

ANSWER:

Here are some suggestions for groundcovers that will grow in part shade or shade in Logan County, Oklahoma:

Artemisia ludoviciana (white sagebrush) grows in sun or part shade, is evergreen, needs little water and can be mowed.

Geum canadense (white avens) is evergreen, grows in shade or part shade in poor soil and can be mowed.

Mitchella repens (partridgeberry) is an evergreen trailing plant that needs a bit of moisture.

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle fogfruit) is evergreen in mild winters and grows in sun and part shade.

Salvia lyrata (lyreleaf sage) is evergreen and will grow in sun, part shade, and shade.  It can form a mat thick enough to walk on if watered once a week and mowed.

Carex blanda (eastern woodland sedge) evergreen and will grow in sun, part shade and shade and in moist or dry conditions.

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats) grows best in part shade or shade and in moist or dry soils.

Artemisia ludoviciana

Geum canadense

Mitchella repens

Phyla nodiflora

Salvia lyrata

Carex blanda