Saturday - September 12, 2009

From: Hancock, WI
Title: Plant identification

I am looking for the name of plant my Grandma used to own. She always referred to it as a spider plant. The green part of the plant looked very similar to a spider plant but growing around the base of the plant was long hairy legs(looked like tarantula legs they were grey and black) Hope you can help.

Mr. Smarty Plants hates to admit defeat, but he can't come up with any native plant that fits your description.  Sorry!  In fact, your plant sounds as if it might be tropical and out of our area of expertise.  The UBC Botanical Garden Forums are very active with participants who have a wide base of knowledge of all sorts of plants.  You might try submitting your description to them and perhaps there is someone who will recognize the plant and can give you a name for it.