Monday - October 05, 2009

From: New Ulm, TX
Topic: Erosion Control, Grasses or Grass-like, Wildflowers
Title: Plants for slopes in South Texas
Answered by: Amy Johnson

QUESTION:

Can you provide a list of plants for use on slopes in S. Texas?

ANSWER:

Grasses are probably the best choice for slopes anywhere.  You could add wildflowers as well.  Here is an article on Meadow Gardening that may help.  There are eight types of South Texas grasses recommended on our database.  They include Andropogon gerardii (Big bluestem), Bouteloua curtipendula (Sideoats grama), Eragrostis spectabilis (Purple lovegrass)Nolina texana (Texas Beargrass), Panicum virgatum var. virgatum (Switchgrass), Schizachyrium scoparium var. scoparium (Little bluestem), and Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass). You can also search for wildflowers if you wish on the database: South Texas wildflowers

Andropogon gerardii

Bouteloua curtipendula

Eragrostis spectabilis

Nolina texana