Wednesday - September 02, 2009

From: Ballinger, TX
Title: Identity of a vine in Texas

QUESTION:

I am trying to identify a native vine in Runnels County, Texas. It is approximately 20 feet long, growing on a fence. The leaves are simple leaves, range in size from 1/2 " to 2" and thick (similar to the thickness of a kalanchoe). The are shaped similar to a red oak and alternate on the stem. The flowers are small, green round buds similar to a poinsettia flower. The berries are black and fleshy and very popular with birds. Can you help me? Thank you.

ANSWER:

From your description, the closest match is Cissus trifoliata (sorrelvine).  It has fleshy leaves and black berries.  Here are photos showing the flowers. (Note:  Cissus incisa is a synonym of C. trifoliata).  If this isn't the vine you saw and you have (or can take) photos, please send them to us and we will do our best to identify your vine.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instruction for submitting photos.