En Espa—ol

Tuesday - September 01, 2009

Topic: Drought Tolerant
Title: Straw that broke the camel's back.
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I keep forgetting which day I am supposed to water and my St. Augustine lawn has turned into the neighborhood eyesore. Where can I go to learn more about this drought tolerant "native plant" gardening I'm hearing so much about?

ANSWER:

Dear St. Augustine,

Today is your lucky day. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center partners with the University of Texas at Austin Informal Classes in an informal education program designed to teach adults about the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. In the fall series of classes, students will learn about the benefits of native plants in a fun and interactive environment at the Wildflower Center's beautiful facility in south Austin.

The Fall Series of native plant gardening classes starts September 19th and includes:

Native Garden Design - Proper design will help ensure a successful native plant garden.

Native Plants I & II - Choosing the right native plants for your garden is both art and science. In this class you will learn about common and botanical names, basic garden ecology, plant requirements, and how to create a planting plan.

Installation - This class covers site preparation, irrigation, best planting times and techniques, and mulches and mulch application.

Maintenance - Topics will include selecting the right tools for the job, watering guidelines and water conservation, fertilizers, soil additives, mulches, pruning, trimming, mowing, grooming, cold and heat protection, gardening hazards and gardener's health.

Pests 101 - This class will introduce you to native plant diseases, garden pests, insects and weeds.

Registration for Go Native U is arranged through the University of Texas at Austin Informal Classes. Sign up for all six courses in the Native Plant Gardening sequence and receive a 10% discount on your registration. Call 512.471.9683 for the discount.