Mr. Smarty Plants - Need plants for a hedge in Iredell, Tx

Friday - August 28, 2009

From: Iredell, TX
Title: Need plants for a hedge in Iredell, Tx

QUESTION:

I have six Penelope roses that I planted for a hedge about 14 years ago. I need to replace them. Will you please recommend heat tolerant plants that grow between 3-5 feet tall, preferable blooming, that would make a good hedge. These are on the south side of my house. Thank you

ANSWER:

The hybrid musk roses are hard to compete with in terms of showy flowers, but here are some suggestions for plants with endearing qualities of their of their own. Most will grow taller than the 3-5 ft that you specified, but judicious trimming can turn each of these into a handsome hedge.

Cenizo, Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush), is an evergreen shrub with silver-grey leaves, growing 3 - 8 ft. See more  at Aggie Horticulture Database.

Wax myrtle, Morella cerifera (wax myrtle), an evergreen shrub growing 6-12" ft. tall. See more at Aggie Horticulture Database.

Yaupon, Ilex vomitoria (yaupon), a picturesque, evergreen shrub growing 12-25 ft tall. Female plants produce an abundance of red berries. See more at Aggie Horticulture Database.

I would also suggest that you get in touch with the folks at the Bosque County Office of Texas AgriLife Extension Service for some help closer to home.

Leucophyllum frutescens