Monday - August 17, 2009

From: Broussard, LA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I am trying to identify a plant in Crocket County Texas. It looks similar to a small thistle. It has purple thorny bulbs on it, the stem and leaves also are thorny.

ANSWER:

Mr Smarty Plants thinks this sounds like one of the Eryngos, probably Eryngium leavenworthii (Leavenworth's eryngo).  The USDA Plants Database shows it occurring in Crocket County.  If this isn't the plant you saw and you have a photo or two of it, please send them to us and we will do our very best to identify your plant.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instructions for submitting photos for identification.

Eryngium leavenworthii

Eryngium leavenworthii

Eryngium leavenworthii