Sunday - August 09, 2009

From: Duluth, MN
Title: Can berries of non-native Fuchsia plant be eaten from Duluth MN

Are the berries of the Fuschia plant edible?

There are a number of plants with "fuchsia" (and yes, this is the correct spelling, it's named after a man named Fuchs) in their name, but two species seem to be most common: Fuchsia magellanica, hardy fuchsia, and Fuchsia paniculata. The first is native to South America and the second to Central Mexico and South America. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, our expertise is exclusively plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Most probably you are referring to Fuchsia paniculata, which is usually used as a house plant. We found a website from the San Francisco Botanical Gardens on Fuchsia paniculata which may help answer your question.