Tuesday - August 04, 2009

From: Anniston, AL
Title: Spacing of non-native crapemyrtle in Anniston AL

QUESTION:

We bought some Dazzle dwarf crepe myrtle bushes. We need to know how far apart to plant them. Thanks

ANSWER:

Lagerstroemia indica (crapemyrtle) is native to Asia and therefore out of our range of expertise. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center we are committed to the care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. The non-native crapemyrtle has been so extensively hybridized to get different heights, colors and bloom times that there is no telling what feature in your plant's ancestry influences its  expected size.

This website from Evergreen Nursery gives you the expected height and spread of this plant, or you could return to the nursery from which you purchased it and ask them.