Friday - August 05, 2005

From: Atoka, OK
Title: Smarty Plants on Pittosporum

Need to know if "PITTOSPORUM" (TOBIRA VARIEGATA) will grow in my area of SE OK. I have purchased two of them and the nursery said that they would do great. Just needed an extra opinion. Thank you very much!

Our interest and expertise is native plants of North America, and Variegated Pittosporum (Pittosporum tobira 'Variegata') is an introduced species from Eastern Asia, not a North American native. Information from the University of Connecticut Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Conservatory indicates that it is suitable for USDA Hardiness Zones 9-11. Since you are in USDA Zone 7, you will need to protect it in cold weather.