Mr. Smarty Plants - Trees for townhome backyard in Fullerton, CA

Saturday - August 15, 2009

From: Fullerton, CA
Title: Trees for townhome backyard in Fullerton, CA

QUESTION:

Hi, I live in a townhome with a big backyard here in Orange County. Last year, I got rid of my ficus trees that had grown too tall and big for a townhome backyard. Now, I would like to plant two trees on both side of my yard. Could you please let me know where I could find a nursery where I could find non-invasive trees that would grow higher than 6 feet.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is wondering whether you want trees that would grow higher than 6 feet or trees that would NOT grow higher than 6 feet since your ficus trees had grown too tall for your backyard.   Whichever it is, here are a few trees of various heights that are native to your area.

Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) grows 15 to 30 feet

Malosma laurina (laurel sumac) grows up to 15 feet and here are photos and more information

Quercus agrifolia (California live oak) grows 20 to 50 feet

Umbellularia californica (California laurel) is a slower grower to 40 feet

Acer negundo (boxelder) grows 35-50 feet

Juglans californica (Southern California walnut) grows 20 to 30 feet and here are photos and more information

Lyonothamnus floribundus ssp. aspleniifolius (Catalina ironwood) grows 30 to 50 feet and here are photos

Prunus ilicifolia (hollyleaf cherry) grows to 10 feet and photos

If you visit our National Suppliers Directory and type in your city and state, you will get a list of nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants in your area.  On this list Las Pilitas Nursery, with stores in Escondido and Santa Margarita, has an extensive inventory of native California plants.

Chilopsis linearis

Quercus agrifolia

Umbellularia californica

Acer negundo