Wednesday - August 05, 2009

From: Port St Lucie, FL
Title: Plant barrier to block view and noise of Florida Turnpike

I live in Port St Lucie FL and my development backs to Florida turnpike. We want to plant to block noise and view. Any suggestions? thank you

The Florida Native Plant Society has an excellent site that has native plant recommendations for the different regions of your state.  Here is the link to Natives to Grow in St. Lucie County. To read more about the plants on the list, you can search for the plants recommended on this Florida Native Plant Society list in our Native Plant Database.  I have looked through their recommendations for shrubs and picked out a few for you.  You can read about the growing conditions for these shrubs and choose one that meets the conditions of your site.

Ardisia escallonoides (island marlberry) and photos and more information

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry)

Forestiera segregata (Florida swampprivet) and photos and more information

Ilex glabra (inkberry)

Itea virginica (Virginia sweetspire)

Morella cerifera [syn. = Myrica cerifera] (wax myrtle)

Psychotria nervosa (Seminole balsamo) and photos and more information

Rhus copallinum (winged sumac)

Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis (common elderberry)

Callicarpa americana

Ilex glabra

Itea virginica

Rhus copallinum

Sambucus nigra ssp. canadensis