Mr. Smarty Plants - Identity of a fern-like plant in Nashville TN.

Thursday - July 30, 2009

From: Nashville , TN
Topic: Ferns
Title: Identity of a fern-like plant in Nashville TN.

QUESTION:

There is a fern like plant that is growing in partial sun in my front yard. It closes and opens with the sun. Its leaves are lacy and long; so far no flowers. I have pictures but not for this format. This is just one of many plants I'm trying to put names to in my new yard!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has found that it is difficult if not impossible to identify plants from a written description. However, I can tell you that if your plant is a fern, it will not have flowers. This article from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden will tell you a lot about ferns.

My suggestion is to have one of your friends who has a digital camera take a picture of the plant and send it to us.

Be sure to follow the directions on the Plant Identification page for taking and sending the images.  A picture is worth a thousand words.