En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Sorting for Fabaceae family for Central Texas

Tuesday - July 21, 2009

From: Leander, TX
Topic: User Comments
Title: Sorting for Fabaceae family for Central Texas

QUESTION:

I can't seem to get the database to sort for: CenTX Fabacae Dry Part shade Perennials All habits Please tell me how

ANSWER:

We are not sure what you are referring to with the "CenTX" or "Fabacae." There is a family of plants referred to as "Fabaceae", pea family. If that is what you want, we can help you out. The database will not sort on the selection of Central Texas in the Recommended Species section, because that is not going to include all the members of that family that we have in our database. So, here is how you do it:

1. Go to our Native Plant Database

2. On the drop-down menu for "Family" at top of page, scroll down to "Fabaceae", click on that and then click on "Go." This will give you a list of 397 members of the Fabaceae family that are in our database.

3. In the right-hand column, select "Texas", "Perennials", part shade under "Light Requirements" and dry under "Soil Moisture."

4. Click on "Narrow Your Search" rectangle at bottom of column.

5. You will get a list of 39 perennial members of the Fabaceae family that are native to Texas. 

Still want Central Texas members of that family? 

1. Go to our Recommended Species:

2. Select Central Texas on the map.

3. Leave it on "all habits," and all the other specifications the same as before.

4. Click on "Narrow Your Search"

5. You'll get 65 results, they will NOT be sorted by family

5. Now, here's the rub: in the Recommended Species, you cannot search on a particular family. You can compare the two lists, Texas and Central Texas, and find the ones on the Texas list that are also on the Central Texas list. For instance: The "Texas" list, sorted by Fabaceae, has 39 perennial members on it. The Central Texas list has 65 perennials for dry, part shade on it. Scan the "Central Texas" list for plants on the "Texas" list. We found only three but we weren't looking real hard. These were Bauhinia lunarioides (Texasplume)Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel), Styphnolobium affine (Eve's necklacepod).

So, you can see there is not a single sort that will give you the information you need, but you can find it by spending a little more time, and comparing the lists. You might want to print them out to do that. 

Bee blossom
Gaura suffulta

Texas mountain laurel
Sophora secundiflora

Eve's necklace
Styphnolobium affine