En EspaÑol

Monday - July 20, 2009

From: Monroe, LA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: Is purple coneflower native to Colorado?

QUESTION:

I have seen the purple cone flower growing wild in Gunnison National Forest in Colorado. Is it a native to that state or has it been brought in?

ANSWER:

According to our Native Plant Database, Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower) is not native to Colorado. It has probably escaped from cultivation, from someone's garden nearby, or possibly brought in by birds from as far away as Texas, where it is native. That is not nearly so worrisome as some exotic tropical plant being brought in and planted, because it "is so pretty."  Of course, a tropical plant probably wouldn't survive very long in that particular location.

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea