Sunday - July 19, 2009

From: Springfield, MA
Topic: Plant Identification, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Plant identification from Springfield MA

QUESTION:

We have a house next to us that is vacant. The lawn has not been mowed in months. a tall flower has grown amongst the grass and weeds. It is about 3 to 4 feet tall green stem and the flower is about 2 inch diameter round purple fuzzy flower or maybe it is a weed we are curious what this may be?

ANSWER:

No matter how good the description, we cannot identify a plant without a picture. Your description could be any one of hundreds of flowers and it might even be non-native, which would mean we didn't even have it in our Native Plant Database. Go to the Mr. Smarty Plants Plant Identification page and follow the instructions for submitting a photo, and sending as much more information as possible, and we'll try to figure out what it is.