Mr. Smarty Plants - When to plant bermudagrass in East Texas

Friday - July 17, 2009

From: Hemphill, , TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: When to plant bermudagrass in East Texas

QUESTION:

When to plant Bermuda grass in East TX, Center, Nacodoches, Lufkin and Center area?

ANSWER:

Is "never" a long enough answer? Bermudagrass is a non-native to North America and certainly to Texas. It has become one of the worst, most invasive weeds in the South. Because it spreads both by stolons (underground rhizomes) and runners (above ground stems) it is very difficult to get rid of, and a lot easier to just never plant it. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. Please read our How-To Article on Native Lawns to help steer you in another direction.