Sunday - July 12, 2009

From: North Augusta, SC
Title: Evergreen flowering shrub for North Augusta GA

I need suggestions for shade-loving evergreen flowering bush that will grow 6 feet or so, besides azaleas.

Shade loving, flowering and evergreen makes for a difficult selection. We found four native to South Carolina that all represent some compromises but might work for you. They all are evergreen and need acidic soil, and the blooms are not too impressive on a couple of them.

Shrubs for South Carolina

Cephalanthus occidentalis (common buttonbush) - 6 to 12 ft., blooms white, pink June to September, part shade or shade

Rhododendron catawbiense (Catawba rosebay) - 6 to 20 ft., blooms pink, purple April to June, shade

Comptonia peregrina (sweet fern) - to 6 ft, blooms white, green May to August, part shade

Ilex glabra (inkberry) - 6 to 12 ft., blooms white May to July

Cephalanthus occidentalis

Rhododendron catawbiense

Comptonia peregrina

Ilex glabra