Mr. Smarty Plants - Potted non-native mimosas in the U.S.

Sunday - July 12, 2009

From: Atlanta, GA
Title: Potted non-native mimosas in the U.S.

QUESTION:

We need I hope there is someone who could tell me where I could find potted mimosa plants in the US.

ANSWER:

We answered this question from someone giving the same name and e-mail as you on July 10.

"First, let's talk about Albizia julibrissin, Mimosa. We would not recommend this tree anyway, because it is non-native to North America. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center supports the use, protection and propagation of plants native to North America and to the area in which they are being grown, because they will need less water, fertilizer and maintenance. The Mimosa is a weak-wooded, short-lived tree, considered an invasive weed, and actually outlawed in many urban areas because of its tendency to spread into and take over other areas. We have lists of suppliers in all parts of the country, but they are all on our list because they supply native plants. Even if this were a native plant, we would have no way of knowing what the prices would be as we do not sell plants except twice at year at Plant Sales, which are, of course, all plants native to Central Texas and sold only on-site.

Our suggestion is that you contact large commercial nurseries in the New Orleans area."