Mr. Smarty Plants - Native plants for a garden in Greenville SC

Sunday - July 12, 2009

From: Greenville, SC
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native plants for a garden in Greenville SC

QUESTION:

Beebalm, Threadleaf Coreopsis, a Yaupon Holly, a Southern Magnolia, and a Highbush Blueberry. And as a ground cover in some areas, we have Cinquefoil (which helped me choke out Indian strawberry!) But now, we have run into a problem, but not with all the plants I have, but with the sun, we are running out of full sun. Are there any more perennial wildflowers (or annuals that self-sow well regularly) that like part shade and full shade that could compliment our sun loving flowers? Are there any different suggestions for perennial plants that will do well in the remaining full sun?

ANSWER:

Your question is pretty complex, and we really don't know where you need sun or shade, how much room you have or what, so allow us to introduce you to our Native Plants Database. We will give you a few examples of our suggestions, but you can find so many more and answer other questions you will think of as you look at possibilities. Since we also don't know how experienced a gardener you are, we suggest you read a How-To Article that will help you get started: A Guide to Native Plant Gardening  will do for starters. If you would like to look at our other How-To Articles, just click on How To Articles under Explore Plants.

To begin your search, go to Recommended Species, click on South Carolina on the map. Under Narrow Your Search, you can select "herbs" (herbaceous blooming plants), "shrubs" or "trees" under Habit. You can also indicate your Light Requirements in this search. We consider "sun" to be six hours or more of sun daily, "part shade" 2 to 6 hours of sun daily, and "shade" less than 2 hours of sun daily. For our example, we will search on "herbs" (herbaceous flowering plants) and shade or part shade. When we did this, we got 31 possbilities of blooming plants native to South Carolina. From these, we chose four as examples, all of which will grow well in either sun or part shade. You find out all about these plants by following the plant link, and going to the webpage for each plant. Under "Growing Conditions" you will learn what kind of soil this plant does best in, how much water it needs, and sun requirements. Under "Benefits" you will find out what wildlife this plant attracts. Then, go on to repeat the process for yourself, looking at more herbs or shrubs and trees until you find the perfect plants for your empty spots.

Achillea millefolium (common yarrow) - 2 to 3 ft. tall, perennial, blooms white, pink April to September, sun or part shade

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed) - 2 ft. tall, perennial, deciduous, blooms yellow, orange May to September, sun or part shade, larval host to Monarch butterfly

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower) - to 3 ft. tall, blooms blue, purple July to November, sun or part shade, attracts butterflies

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower) - 3 to 5 ft., perennial, blooms pink, purple April to September, sun or part shade, attracts butterflies and hummingbirds

Achillea millefolium

Conoclinium coelestinum

Echinacea purpurea