En EspaÑol

Tuesday - July 14, 2009

From: Lake Odessa, MI
Title: Identity of a plant with yellow flowers in Michigan.

QUESTION:

Would you know what this perennial is? The plant has a reddish colored stem, the leaves are long and narrow, approx 31/2 inches long, and 1/2 to 3/4 inch across. The buds are long approx 2 inches, and have red dots on them. This plant blooms a beautiful bright yellow flower approx 3 inches across. The flower looks somewhat like a poppy but the rest of the plant does not. I got this on a clearence at a green house and after I got it home I noticed it had no tag. Would like to know the name and where best to plant it. Thank you for your help. Carol

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants has learned over the years that is very difficult, virtually impossibble even, to identify a plant from a written description such as this. My suggestion is to go to  Plant Identification on the "Ask Mr. Smarty Plants" page and follow the directions for taking and sending us a photo of your plant. Once we have a photo, a name will be easier to find.

Another approach is to go to the Native Plants Database page and scroll down to the Combination Search box. Fill in the the spaces with the information that you have about your plant. For instance, you can fill in the state, the habit, you know its a perennial, fill in "full sun" under Light Requirement, put "moist" for Soil Moisture,  select the appropriate Bloom Characteristics, and click "submit your combination search". You will get a list  of Native Plants in Michigan that fit those characteristics. Click the name of each plant, and its NPIN page will come up that contains  characteristics of the plant as well as photos. By changing criteria such as light requirement and soil moisture you  can generate several lists. Compare the photos with your plant.