Tuesday - July 07, 2009

Title: Non-native Pride of Barbados for Austin

QUESTION:

When does the Pride of Barbados need to be planted and where would I find a nursery that carries them?

ANSWER:

Caesalpinia pulcherrima is native to the West Indies and Tropical America, and therefore does not appear in our Native Plant Database. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the care, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. 

Two websites that can give you some information on this plant are: Floridata Caesalpinia pulcherrima (Barbados Pride) and Texas A&M Cooperative Extension Pride of Barbados by David Rodriguez, Horticulturist.