Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant ID in Springfield OR

Wednesday - July 08, 2009

From: Springfield, OR
Region: Northwest
Title: Plant ID in Springfield OR

QUESTION:

I recently discovered a wildflower closely resembling the Oregon Lady Slipper, apparently a wild orchid, but with many blooms on a single long stem and with no apparent leaves. I'd like more information and a name? I've spent much time in forest land but never seen another like this. I have a picture, though I believe it is a bit past it's prime.

ANSWER:

Even with the best description, it is nearly impossible to identify plants without a picture. Go to our Plant Identification site for instructions on submitting a photo. Meanwhile, check this American Orchid Society website which will give you help in identification, with pictures. Finally, we searched on our Native Plant Database for members of the Orchidaceae  family native to Oregon, and got a list. You can do the same thing, follow each plant link on the list and get the description, growing conditions and look at pictures of orchids you might expect to find in your area.