En EspaÑol

Sunday - July 24, 2005

From: Dundas, ON
Region: Canada
Topic: Propagation, Transplants, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Smarty Plants on dutchmans pipe
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

How do I care for and transplant dutchman pipe?

ANSWER:

There are several species of Dutchman's pipes in the Genus Aristolochia, but I am assuming you are referring to Common dutchmanspipe or Wooly dutchman's pipe (Aristolochia tomentosa) the only one listed that is native to your region. You can grow this from seed and you can read more about its growing preferences and other characteristics from the Missouri Botanical Garden Kemper Center for Home Gardening and from Plants for the Future.

Transplanting your Dutchman's pipes should be done at least one month before the average date of the first freeze. If the vine you are transplanting is very large, you should cut back at least half of the top growth before you dig it up.