Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Sunday - July 05, 2009

From: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Large leaf plant over 5 feet tall red stems and purple almost black flat berries in large clumps. Any idea?

ANSWER:

Usually, it is a difficult (if not impossible) task to identify a plant by description alone, but Mr. Smarty Plants is pretty sure you are describing Phytolacca americana (American pokeweed).  it is a pretty distinctive plant and certainly gets your attention with its red stem and large bunches of berries.  Birds love the berries, by the way.  If it turns out that this isn't your plant, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.

Phytolacca americana

Phytolacca americana

Phytolacca americana

Phytolacca americana