Mr. Smarty Plants - Want to identify a shrub with golden to orangish berries in Minneapolis MN.

Tuesday - July 14, 2009

From: Minneapolis, MN
Title: Want to identify a shrub with golden to orangish berries in Minneapolis MN.

QUESTION:

Tall shrub or maybe tree with small berries golden to orangish color. The berries are not in large clumps but more twos and threes. Leaves are opposite each other, smooth edges and sort of elliptical. Is it native? Is this invasive?

ANSWER:

Well the first thing we need to know is the name of the plant, and Mr. Smarty Plants has learned over the years that is very difficult, virtually impossibble even, to identify a plant from a written description such as this. My suggestion is to go to  Plant Identification on the "Ask Mr. Smarty Plants" page and follow the directions for taking and sending us a photo of your plant. Once we have a name, we can determine if it is a native plant and if it is invasive.