En EspaŅol

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions
Can't find the answer in our existing FAQs, submit a question to Mr. Smarty Plants.
Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.
 
rate this answer
Not Yet Rated

Thursday - July 02, 2009

From: Hockley, TX
Region: Southwest
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Removing poison ivy around live oak in Hockley TX
Answered by: Barbara Medford

QUESTION:

We have a large live oak in our backyard, estimated to be over 100 years old. I am working on clearing out the brush that is under the tree. Can I spray commercially available poison ivy killer in this area? Will it cause any damage to the tree?

ANSWER:

No and yes. No, you can't spray poison ivy killer around your tree, and yes, it would damage the tree. Poison ivy killer, regardless of what it says on the container, is a broad-leaf plant killer. The live oak is a broad-leaf plant. The poison has no internal instructions to avoid damaging one broad-leaf plant while killing another.

Just killing the Toxicodendron radicans (eastern poison ivy) is only half the battle anyway. As long as the vines and leaves are there, dead or alive, they can cause terrible allergic reactions in anyone brushing up against them.  Poison ivy loves the environment you are describing- shade, protection, similar plants for camouflage, trees to climb, etc. And, it is also distributed by the helpful birds, so you never really get rid of it.

Examine the plants you are getting ready to attack very carefully, and prepare to pull out the poison ivy, if you find it, with rubber gloves that can be washed free of the oils, and paper towels or newspaper to actually pick it up. It can deposit oils on tree bark, leather gloves and clothes and come back to torment you later. Deposit the paper-wrapped vine in a trash bag and don't let anyone reach in there barehanded to push the rubbish down. Cutting it at the ground will, of course, kill the vine that is going up a tree or bush. A good second step is to paint the cut stub (if it's too big to pull out roots and all) with a broad spectrum weed killer. Do this quickly, within five minutes of cutting, because the plant will try to heal itself over before the poison can get to the roots. Some people even try painting some individual leaves of poison ivy with a disposable paintbrush and the weed killer. This is pretty slow, and you must still be very careful not to come in contact with any of the vine and not to let the poison contact any desirable plants.

If you can get to a sink without touching anything, wash the rubber gloves (still on your hands) with dishwashing detergent, get the gloves off and then wash hands, arms or anything else that came in contact with the vine with the same detergent. Don't delay doing this, once the oil is on your skin, it takes very little time to start developing the allergic reaction. 


Toxicodendron radicans

Toxicodendron radicans

Toxicodendron radicans

Toxicodendron radicans

 

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Are Carolina Cherry Laurel seeds poisonous from Asheville NC
August 14, 2012 - I have a Carolina cherry laurel in my back yard that is dropping berries into my vegetable garden beds. May be a silly question, but will the berries poison the plants (and me) when I eat them?
view the full question and answer

Petals of flowers on cake from London
August 28, 2010 - Hi could you please confirm whether it is safe to position an amaryllis on top of a fresh cream cake (it will not be eaten, nor will the stem touch the cream, it will be positioned in a non toxic vial...
view the full question and answer

Remedy for sore finger scratched by an Agave plant
October 18, 2013 - I scratched my ring finger on a Agave plant this afternoon. It did bring blood to the surface and i washed it off. Where the scratch is, is very tender and it is swollen and tingles. Any suggestions f...
view the full question and answer

Landscaping trees and shrubs non-toxic to dogs from Monticello FL
March 08, 2013 - We're landscaping and need advice on large and small evergreen trees and shrubs that are native to or will flourish in North Florida. We plan to put in a treeline (large and semi-large trees) as wel...
view the full question and answer

Detoxifying soil from York England
August 15, 2012 - How do you neutralize toxic soil, it may have been contaminated by Foxglove Digitalis Purpurea? Thankyou
view the full question and answer

Smarty Plants's Facebook profile Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.

Mr. Smarty Plants wants you to be his Facebook friend. Click the Facebook icon to add yourself to Mr. Smarty Plants list of friends.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | SITEMAP | STAFF
© 2015 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center