Mr. Smarty Plants - Assessment of Turffalo buffalograss

Friday - June 26, 2009

Title: Assessment of Turffalo buffalograss
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Julie Krosley

QUESTION:

Hi, I'm in the process of planning what type of turf to get for a new home in NW Austin. Turffalo/Tech Turf has showed up as a great possibility and I saw some mention of it back on March 05, 2008. How has the installation fared since? Thanks, Ryan

ANSWER:

As a follow-up to the March 05, 2008 question, Mr. Smarty Plants asked Julie Krosley, our senior horticulturist, for her current assessment of our Turffalo plot.  Here is what she says:

"Since that original question (after the wet year) the Turffalo was weakened by all of that rain and further stressed by the drought conditions we had last year.  I lost some of it and had to replug those areas this past fall.  I am happy to report though it is filling in nicely and looks like it will recover. I still feel though that it isn't anymore resistant to weeds than the other buffalo grasses.  I would recommend using an organic pre-emergent such as corn gluten twice a year to control weeds."