Mr. Smarty Plants - Wildflower seed sources for Collinsia verna.

Monday - June 29, 2009

From: Durham, NC
Title: Wildflower seed sources for Collinsia verna.

QUESTION:

Hello, I am looking for seeds of Collinsia verna to plant in my woodland wildflower garden. I live in NC, a bit out of the native range, so don't have immediate access to native seeds. Do you know of a nursery that sells them? I can't find one anywhere. They are so cheerful, and I'd really enjoy their company next spring.

ANSWER:

It seems as though you have done some research in that you know Collinsia verna is not native to your area.  However, our plant database indicates that it is native to states adjacent to NC.  The best advice we can give you is to check the suppliers and organizations in our Suppliers section. You can type your city and state into the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and landscape and environment consultants in your general area.If that doesn't yield results, try putting Virginia (where the plant is native) in the box.

Again, since the plant you are looking for is native to Virginia, try contacting the Virgina Native Plant Society for a possible source of the seed.