Mr. Smarty Plants - Need suggestions for shrubs for for screening along a 70 ft fence in Dallas, TX.

Monday - June 29, 2009

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Need suggestions for shrubs for for screening along a 70 ft fence in Dallas, TX.

QUESTION:

Hi, My new home backyard is right adjacent to an intersection of reasonably busy roads. The other side of one of these roads is commercial area. From your website, I understand that Wax Myrtle is best and fast growing as a shrub to be used for screening alongside a wood fence. My fence is about 70ft and slightly curved. I plan on planting these Wax Myrtles alongside the fence spacing them 8ft. I hope these would provide the necessary screening and noise reduction. Are there any alternatives that can be planted in between these? I prefer flowering shrubs. Thanks for your response in advance.

ANSWER:

Wax myrtle, Morella cerifera (wax myrtle), is a good choice. It is a fast growing evergreen shrub, growing 6-12 ft tall. See more at Aggie Horticulture Database.

Here are three more shrubs to choose from that can compliment the Wax myrtle. Their flowers aren't particularly showy, but they produce red berries that are attractive.

Yaupon, Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) a picturesque, evergreen shrub growing 12-25 ft tall. Female plants produce an abundance of red berries. See more at Aggie Horticulture Database .

Possum Haw, Ilex decidua (possumhaw) is a small deciduous tree growing 15-30 feet tall. The leaves remain dark green through the fall, finally turing yellow before they drop. Female trees produce red berries that persist through the winter. See more at Aggie Horticulture Database.

Fragrant Sumac, Rhus aromatica (fragrant sumac) is a small to medium-size, deciduous shrub with aromatic foliage. It can grow 6-12 ft. tall, and produces dark red berries that can persist into March. See more at Aggie Horticulture Database.