Sunday - June 28, 2009

From: Pittsburgh, PA
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Deer resistant plants for erosion control on steep hill

QUESTION:

I would like control a steep hill behind my house that is red clay, northern exposure with little sun. What plants would you recommend that deer will not eat?

ANSWER:

Grasses are ideal for erosion control because of their extensive fibrous root systems.  Additionally, deer rarely eat grasses.  Below are grasses native to Pennsylvania that will grow in clay soils in part shade (2 to 6 hours of sun per day).

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama)

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats)

Elymus canadensis (Canada wildrye)

Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem)

Deer also rarely eat ferns and ferns are ideally suited for shady sites.  Here are a few that are native to Pennsylvania.

Osmunda cinnamomea (cinnamon fern)

Osmunda regalis (royal fern)

Pteridium aquilinum (western brackenfern)

Woodwardia areolata (netted chainfern)

Here are other plants that you could add to the grass or fern mix that are native to Pennsylvania and deer resistant.

Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo)

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies)

Ratibida columnifera (upright prairie coneflower)

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle fogfruit)

Salvia lyrata (lyreleaf sage)

Solidago nemoralis (gray goldenrod)