Tuesday - June 23, 2009

From: Panama City Beach, FL
Title: Source for non-native white Mexican petunias in Panama City, FL

I'm looking for tall white Mexican Petunias. Can you please tell me where I can get some?

Ruella brittaniana (Mexican petunia) is native to Mexico and therefore out of our range of expertise. At the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, we are focused on plants native not only to North America but the area in which they are being grown. Non-natives can become invasive, destroying natural habitats and spilling over into disturbed areas. This Floridata website Ruellia britanniana has that exact warning for Florida residents.  Also, Mr. Smarty Plants is not a forum nor a source for purchasing or sharing seeds or plants.