Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native, care for Jade plant.

Monday - June 22, 2009

From: denver, CO
Title: Non-native, care for Jade plant.

QUESTION:

I've had a jade plant for 5 years and it has done well, even though it was in a plastic pot with regular soil. I need to repot it and it was recommended I use a clay pot and a soil made for succulents that is more porous. Should I increase the frequency or amount of water I give it, since it will dry out faster now? Thanks

ANSWER:

The focus of research and the extent of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are limited to plants native to North America.  Your Jade plant, Crassula sp. is a tropical plant native to South Africa and is really outside of our purview. 

You can do a Google search using the plant’s name and look for care information, or you can submit your request for information to the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden forums website: http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/.  On their forum, tropical plant enthusiasts from around the world monitor and answer questions like yours about houseplant issues.