Monday - June 22, 2009

From: denver, CO
Title: Non-native, care for Jade plant.

I've had a jade plant for 5 years and it has done well, even though it was in a plastic pot with regular soil. I need to repot it and it was recommended I use a clay pot and a soil made for succulents that is more porous. Should I increase the frequency or amount of water I give it, since it will dry out faster now? Thanks

The focus of research and the extent of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are limited to plants native to North America.  Your Jade plant, Crassula sp. is a tropical plant native to South Africa and is really outside of our purview. 

You can do a Google search using the plant’s name and look for care information, or you can submit your request for information to the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden forums website: http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/.  On their forum, tropical plant enthusiasts from around the world monitor and answer questions like yours about houseplant issues.