Wednesday - June 17, 2009

From: Bradford, ON, ON
Region: Canada
Title: Buffalograss (Bouteloua dactyloides) for Ontario, Canada
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Anne Bossart

QUESTION:

Is there a grower/distributor of Buffalo Grass in Canada? I want to seed it soon. Thanks

ANSWER:

If you are going to find a grower or distributor of Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss) in Canada, it would likely be in Manitoba or Saskatchewan since that is the native distribution shown by the USDA Plants Database.  You can search for a nursery or seed company that specializes in native plants in your general area in our National Suppliers Directory. Searching by location (i.e., Ontario, Canada) would be your best bet.  I checked a couple of the ones that have webpages and didn't find buffalograss listed, but you might try contacting the seed companies in Manitoba and Ontario that are in our database to see if they know of a source if they don't have any themselves. There are also seed companies listed in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan that might be a possible source.

One of our Associates, Wildflower Farm in Coldwater, ON has been doing research on native turfgrasses and can recommend and supply a more appropriate grass mix for your area.