Monday - June 15, 2009

From: Hilliard, OH
Title: Poison ivy in Hilliard OH?

QUESTION:

I found a plant with five jagged leaves growing close to the ground in the trees of Ohio. Is this poison ivy or a similar plant?

ANSWER:

We really don't know which plant you have, and are going to find some that are native to Ohio in our Native Plant Database, refer you to their webpages and give you some pictures to look at. If that still doesn't answer your question, go to our Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page for instructions on submitting a picture. Also, follow the instructions on describing where the plant is growing, berries, flowers, etc., and we will try to identify it for you.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper) - five leaflets, occasionally 3 or 7, sometimes mistaken for poison ivy

Parthenocissus vitacea (woodbine) - closely related and very similar to Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper) - pictures

Toxicodendron radicans (eastern poison ivy) - presents itself several different ways

Vitis labrusca (fox grape) - pictures

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Toxicodendron radicans

Toxicodendron radicans