Mr. Smarty Plants - Trumpet flower side effects

Wednesday - July 06, 2005

From: Fargo, ND
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Trumpet flower side effects

QUESTION:

What happens if you eat a trumpet flower, what are the side effects and dangers?

ANSWER:

I suppose you are referring to Datura wrightii or other members of the genus Datura. D. wrightii is a native to North America, but there are also D. stramonium and D. inoxia which are similar introduced species. Other common names for these are jimsonweed, thorn apple, and angel trumpet. According to the Cornell University Poisonous Plants Informational Database, the primary poisons are atropine, scopalamine and hyoscyamine. The Indiana Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets database says the symptoms that may occur after ingesting the leaves, flowers, or seeds of any Datura species can result in "dilated pupils, agitation, trembling, delirium, may appear to be experiencing hallucinations, convulsions (which may be violent), coma and possible death. Abortions and birth defects have also been reported." Datura spp. have been used as sacred plants and medicines by native peoples for years for their hallucinatory effects..

However, if you are referring to Tecoma stans (trumpetbush or trumpetflower), Chilopsis linearis desert willow or trumpet flower or Macrosiphonia lanuginosa var. macrosiphon, none of these appear on any poisonous plants lists that I know about. That doesn't necessarily mean it is safe to eat them.