En EspaÑol

Monday - June 15, 2009

From: san marcos, CA
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Photinia toxicity to dogs
Answered by: Jackie OKeefe

QUESTION:

is the photinia bush toxic to dogs??

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center disseminates information about our native plants and seeks to encourage their use in their native habitats. Our range of expertise is limited to this arena.

There are multiple photinia varieties. The commonly used landscape plant is Red-Tipped Photinia, Photinia fraseri, a hybrid of Asian parentage. According to The Merck Veterinary Manual, it is toxic to horses and other ruminants (grazing animals), but there is no indication of toxicity to dogs.

Heteromeles arbutifolia (toyon) , or Christmasberry, is a southern California native of the chapparal community which is a photinia relative. It is on a California list under the name Photinia arbutifolia as a plant which is poisonous to humans, but is not listed as toxic to dogs.

Heteromeles arbutifolia