Thursday - June 25, 2009

From: Rindge, NH
Title: Shrubs for New Hampshire

QUESTION:

Will be landscaping next Spring: Do you think using 'Ilex Crenata'-Japanese Holly together with variegated Euonymus (species: fortunei) as shrub hedges in front of our house is a good combo? Do they grow fast? How high and wide? Do they keep their foliage ALL year round? I don't want shrubs that are bare at anytime during the year? Are they easily maintained? Any other possible shrubs you might suggest?

ANSWER:

Since the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center's mission is "to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes,"  Mr. Smarty Plants would not recommend planting either Ilex crenata (Japanese holly) or Euonymus fortunei (wintercreeper)  because they are both non-native plants whose origins are in Asia.  Additionally E. fortunei is listed on Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council's Invasive Exotic Pest Plants in Tennessee-2004 and Weeds of WisconsinIlex crenata also appears on WeedUS - Database of Plants Invading Natural Areas in the United States and the Georgia Exotic Pest Plant Council list.

Here are some New Hampshire evergreen native alternatives for these two species:

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)

Vaccinium vitis-idaea (lingonberry)

Ilex glabra (inkberry)

Juniperus communis var. depressa (common juniper) and here are photos and information.

Kalmia angustifolia (sheep laurel)

Kalmia latifolia (mountain laurel)

Ledum groenlandicum (bog Labrador tea)

Rhododendron maximum (great laurel)