Mr. Smarty Plants - Thrips on non-native roses in Austin

Thursday - June 11, 2009

Title: Thrips on non-native roses in Austin

QUESTION:

How can I get rid of thrips that have totally invaded all of my roses?

ANSWER:

First, we need to remind you that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is focused on the care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. With very few exceptions, all roses are non-native, having come to North America with European settlers, but mostly originating very long ago in China. However, thrips can be damaging to other plants, including natives, so we will refer you to this University of California Integrated Pest Management website on Pests in Gardens in Landscapes: Thrips.