Wednesday - June 24, 2009

Topic: General Botany
Title: Question about booklet, Native and Adapted Landscape Plants

In the booklet"Native and Adapted Landscape Plants for Central Texas", the light requirements for some plants are written in a way that I do not understand. Is Sun/Part Shade different from Part Shade/Sun or Sun/Shade?

Mr. Smarty Plants assumes you are talking about the booklet, Native and Adapted Landscape Plants, published by the City of Austin Water Protection Development Review in conjunction with Texas A&M System's Agrilife Extension for their Grow Green initiative.  I have searched my paper copy as well as the online version and I can't find their definition of the terms.  I can tell you what we mean by those terms at the Wildflower Center and I would guess that it doesn't differ significantly from their definition.

Sun = 6 or more hours of sun per day

Part shade = 2 to 6 hours of sun per day

Shade = Less than 2 hours of sun per day

Sun/Part Shade wouldn't seem to be any different from Part Shade/Sun and I would think that Sun/Shade would mean that the plant will grow in sun, part shade and shade.